As I refocus the blog to bring you more original content, one segment I’d like to do each week is going to be called “Cooking With The Queen of Swag.“ I’d be labeling each post with the banner seen above and sharing a fun and easy recipe each week. I hope you will enjoy the Recipes I share with you. I’ll be capturing the recipes with my Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Camera so I can get good shots of each recipe.
I’d like to kick it off this week with one of my favorite Recipes for Easy To Make Empanadas.
If you’ve never heard of an Empanada, they are meat or fruit filled pastries that are usually made with a round dough and fried. This is a slightly different recipe as these are baked and made with Puff Pastry sheets.
You can make these with ground beef or with our other favorite Guava Paste.
To Make this quick and Easy Yummy Recipe Here is the Recipe Below:
- 1 Box of Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry (Has to be the PUFF PASTRY SHEETS)
- 1 Package of Ground Beef or 1 canned package of Goya Guava Paste
- 1 Egg
- Garlic Powder
- Parchment paper
- If you're making the Meat version of these, 1st you dice up some olives. I personally don't like the red pimiento inside the olive so I usually take it out before I dice up my olives.
- I mix the olives with the Ground Beef and I cook the Ground beef with a pinch of Garlic Powder, Pepper, and a tiny bit of Salt, as I don't put too much salt in as the Olives add salt to the meat.
- I don't cook the meat completely as we will be baking the meat inside the empanadas and that will cook it completely.
- Once the meat is cooked you let it cool for about 15 minutes as you'll be scooping the meat unto the dough and you don't want it hot on the dough.
- When you're meat is cooled spread out the Puff Pastry sheets onto a flour covered Parchment paper and cut them into 3 strips. Then you cut each of the strips into 3 or 4 squares depending on how large you want your empanadas.
- You then scoop the meat into the center of the square piece of dough you cut from the strip.
- You then take a fork and press down on the edges to seal the empanadas closed. You poke some whole into the top so that the air can come out when it's baking kind of like you would do for a pie.
- You do that for each one and once they are all lined up on your parchment paper you transfer them onto your baking sheet.
- You then scramble one egg to glaze the emapanadas. You glaze each empanada with the egg. It helps to give it that shine and golden color. Don't put too much. Just a light coating. Your don't want egg tasting empanadas.
- You heat the oven to 350 and bake until they are puffed up and golden brown. It takes about 25-30 minutes to be done.
- If you were making the guava empanadas it would only take about 20 minutes and for the guava empanadas you would do the exact same steps as above, but you wouldn't be making any meat obviously.
- You would cut a piece of guava from the paste that is about an inch big and place it in the center of the square piece of puff pastry sheet.
- That's all the steps to making this easy no fried Empanada Recipe.
You can see all the steps mentioned in this recipe in the pics below.
When they are all golden brown and puffy they will look like this.
These are really delicious and easy to make. I know I can’t resist taking a bite out of one when ever I make them. My family usually eats the majority of them by the end of the night when they are made.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and I hope you who ever you make these for enjoys them too!