Did you hear! Most recently, the Ziploc® Brand has partnered with best-selling author and TV personality Rachael Ray(2). “The Ziploc® Fresh Eating Survey results shed light on the fact that Americans want to eat fresh food and are hungry for the resources to do so,” says Ray. “Ziploc® Brand and I are doing just that with The Great American FreshOver™ Project, which challenges families and provides them with the tools to ‘freshover’ their meals and inspire lasting change.”
I took the challenge and made the French-Cut Green Beans with Almonds & Fried Onions!
It was so super easy to make!
And it’s great to know I’m making something fresh and healthy for my family to eat!
Here is the recipe below so you can see how to make it for yourself!
|French-Cut Green Beans with Almonds & Fried Onions||
- 1 pound fresh green beans or frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (2-ounce package)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Ground black pepper
- 1 can fried onions
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a high-sided sauté pan. If using fresh beans, cut them lengthwise while you wait for the water to boil.
- Add salt and green beans to boiling water and cook until just tender. Drain beans and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Return the skillet to medium heat and add the butter. When butter is melted, add the almonds and cook until golden brown.
- Return the green beans to the pan, along with the juice of 1/2 a lemon, add salt and pepper to taste. When warmed through, top with fried onions.
And of course when I was all done and we had left overs I placed them inside our trusty Ziploc bags! I love Ziploc Brand bags and containers. I’ve tried other brands and the generics but I find nothing keeps my food fresh like ZipLock does!
Ziploc® Brand and Rachael Ray’s mission – a two-year healthy eating initiative encouraging families to “freshover” their outlook on eating – offers families recipes, tips, ways to use Ziploc® Brand Containers and Bags, a chance to win a trip for two to meet Rachael Ray and more on the Ziploc® Brand Facebook Fan Page.
Ziploc® Reveals Cities that Eat Fresh
The Ziploc® Fresh Eating Survey uncovered an interesting look into the most fresh and least fresh cities across America. The top 10 “freshest cities” are where residents are seeking and eating the freshest food options available, through farmer’s markets and gardening habits. The least fresh cities underscore metro areas where residents face obstacles to eating fresh, such as a high prevalence of fast food options and a lack of fresh food resources. The 10 freshest cities in the U.S. include:
|1. Hartford, Conn.||6. Richmond, Va.|
|2. San Francisco, Calif.||7. Austin-Round Rock, Texas|
|3. Sacramento, Calif.||8. Boston, Mass.|
|4. Portland, Ore.||9. Washington, D.C.|
|5. San Jose, Calif.||10. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.|
Location Plays Role in Eating Fresh:
- Texas is a Mixed “Fresh” State – Not only is Texas home to one of the freshest metro areas in the country (Austin, Texas), but it’s also home to three of the list’s least fresh (San Antonio, Texas, Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, Houston, Texas).
- People Eat Fresher Near Coastlines – While half the top 10 freshest areas are on the West Coast, overall the top 10 and bottom 10 are equally divided among the West Coast, East Coast, South and Midwest. Three cities in the Bay Area scored in the top five and Richmond, Va. was the only southern city in the top ten.
- Fast Food vs. Fresh Food Resources – There are 1.45 farmers markets per every 100,000 Americans countrywide, however there are 60.1 fast food establishments tipping the scales toward consumption of fast food. East Coast residents have a better chance of finding farmers markets, including Albany, N.Y. and Hartford, Conn. with 3.84 and 3.26 farmers markets per every 100,000 Americans respectively.
- Fresh Food Feels Good – Universally across the country, 89 percent of Americans feel like a good parent when their family’s diet contains fresh foods.
Staying Fresh With The Great American FreshOver™ Project
On the official Ziploc® Brand Facebook Fan Page families can start their FreshOver™ journey and stay inspired through exclusive videos and tips from Rachael Ray. Beginning February 29 through May 5, 2012, fans can enter for a chance to win:
- A trip for two for the ultimate culinary experience in America’s food capital – New York City(3).
- The opportunity to meet Rachael Ray and swap recipes and hear her first-hand tips for keeping things fresh in the kitchen.
- Dine at the most sought after “fresh” restaurants in New York City.
Fans can enter on the Ziploc® Brand Facebook Fan Page by “liking” the page and posting a FreshOver™ food idea in the form of a recipe or tip in text(3).
As part of the FreshOver™ mission, Ziploc® Brand will make a donation(4) to Rachael Ray’s nonprofit organization Yum-O®!, which brings fresh and healthy foods to families across the country. Families can support the cause by “pledging” to start their own FreshOver™ Project by downloading the free, customizable FreshOver™ Recipe Guide at Facebook.com/Ziploc. To further support Yum-O®!, Rachael Ray and Ziploc® Brand will donate an additional $200,000.
“When we kicked off The Great American FreshOver™ in early 2012, we were excited to partner with Rachael Ray and families across America to freshen their outlook on eating,” says Kelly Semrau, Senior Vice President – Global Corporate Affairs, Communication and Sustainability at SC Johnson. “More than 25,000 families have already committed to FreshOver™ Projects, and we are thrilled to continue to inspire and reward Americans for making a behavior change that will benefit their families in the years to come.”
Ziploc® Brand Bags and Containers
Ziploc® Brand Bags and Containers make eating fresh convenient and help moms get more out of their families’ favorite meals by extending the freshness of food ingredients and leftovers. Available in an assortment of sizes, shapes and seals, Ziploc® Brand Bags and Containers offer families a variety of smart, quality food storage solutions to help moms easily FreshOver™ meals and prepare on-the-go snacks with fresh ingredients.
Ziploc® Perfect Portions™ Bags, the latest innovation from the Ziploc® Brand, are perfect for storing and freezing bulk foods and individual portions of poultry, meat, cookie dough and more. Ziploc® Brand products are available in grocery, mass merchandise and drug stores nationwide at suggested retail prices ranging from $1.09 to $8.59.
For information on Ziploc® Brand products, the full list of “Fresh Cities” across America, to learn how to start a FreshOver™ Project and to enter for a chance to win a trip to meet Rachael Ray in New York City, visit the official Ziploc® Brand Facebook Fan Page at Facebook.com/Ziploc!
YOU CAN GET FRESH BY WINNING YOUR OWN ZIPLOC PRIZE PACK HERE!
YOUR PRIZE PACK WILL INCLUDE:
- New Ziploc® Perfect Portions™ Bags
- Ziploc® Freezer Bags
- Rachael Ray Recipes
- 1-2 other Ziploc® products (random selection)
TO ENTER FILL OUT THE RAFFLE COPTER FORM BELOW!
DON’T FORGET TO COME BACK FOR YOUR DAILY ENTRIES AND WITHIN 48 HOURS AFTER THE GIVEAWAY ENDS TO SEE WHO WON!
****-This GIVEAWAY is open to USA ONLY! SORRY.
PRIZE WILL BE FULFILLED by ZIPLOC!
**PLEASE SEE RULES AND DISCLAIMER FOR MORE PRIZE INFO. AGAIN WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN AT RANDOM USING RANDOM.ORG FROM ELIGIBLE ENTRIES.**
Good luck to All who enter! And THANK YOU so much for following my blog!